Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Motor chop

Choppers are motorcycles which are custom-made to suite the taste of their owners. The name "chopper" was derived when motorcycles enthusiasts "chopped" off heavy and useless parts of their motocycles, transforming them into a special piece which was very much original compared to the stereotypes produced by manufacturers.

I was drawn to choppers by this interesting series called "American Chopper" on Discovery Channel. This series is a documentary about Orange County Choppers, which is a company renowned for producing great and beautiful choppers. To be able to follow the process of producing a chopper is a great experience! These are some of the bikes which i personally love myself...


Blue Linx

This baby is one of the themed choppers produced by them. Loved this particular chopper because of its combination of old-style looks and its new modern curvatures. And this is one of the special choppers which is in a cute baby blue color. Who says choppers must be macho!? I particularly loves the classic headlight and the unique double exhaust pipe. The chassis is just nice because it leaves little space between the fuel tank and the engine. Some of the other bikes have big spaces between them and i think they look ugly.


I.Robot chopper

This baby is created for the promotion of the movie I.Robot. I envied Will Smith who had a chance to try on it.

I wonder why there are no choppers in Malaysia. I checked the Kastam Malaysia site and can't find any details about importing a chopper. I went the the JPJ site and also found no regulations about having a custom made motorcycle. There are only reminders stating that having a "kereta potong" is illegal. I wonder if "choppers" or "motosikal potong" are illegal. I hope not. Kereta potong is an ugly rojak of unused motor parts and in contrast... motosikal 'chop' is very much better than a pork chop or a chicken chop. It's a piece of art.






No comments: