Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas eve

I'm in no religion that celebrates Christmas. In fact Christmas day is just another holiday for my family, a very religious Buddhist one. But i always love Christmas. The celebration, the decorations, the Christmas carols, the warm and pleasant feeling fills the air. And Christmas always brings me this Q&A session, without fail, every year.

Gugu/aunt: Xin dan jiet mak gai loi geh? (What Christmas day?)
me : Gi du gao eh ngin geh jiap ngit la (Christian's/Catholics celebration la..)
gugu: Mak gai heh gi du gao? (Who are christians?)
me: Xin yesu eh ngin la. (Believer of God and Jesus.)
gugu: Oh... xin dan jiet hin jok mak gai geh? (Why do they celebrate Christmas?)
me: Hin jok yesu ge sang git la (To commemorate the birth of Christ)
gugu: Zho mak gai? (for wat?)
me: Hao chiong gon yim dan an yong la (like how we pray during Guan Yin's goddess' birthday)
gugu: Oh... Yesu heh ai jak fui fui jiok hong set sam ge ah? (Is Jesus the fat fat one wearing red?)
me: M heh la, ai jak heh xin dan lao ngin (No! that's Santa Claus)
gugu: Heh lang ngin? (Who's he?)
me: Pai li mut bin xe lao goh ge la. (Give present to kids one la)
gugu: Oh..

There goes the anual inquisition about Christmas and its origins.

gugu: Gia di sit foh gai geh, heh mm heh? (They eat turkey one rite?)
me: Heh loh, ngi you di dao geh? (how u know?)
gugu: Ngai di dao geh. (I just know)
me: oh... *as if*....

I think probably my brother told her about it. She asked my brother about the party the day before, and perhaps she came across with turkey. Haha... at least she knew something new this year.

gugu: ngai di dao, foh gi glok glok glok giao mah(I know, turkey makes glok glok glok* sound one!)
*trying to imitate the sound of a turkey.
Glok glok glok....

Merry Christmas!

No comments: