Monday, December 26, 2005

Jinjang no Jalan

It's early morning of Boxing Day and Dad woke me up from my sleep. "Let's go to the market," he said. What!! So early! Alright then. I want to be a good boy to accompany Dad as Mummy was still in the hospital taking care of ailing aunt. Haven't been awake so early since holiday started one month ago. I looked into my bedside clock, and GOSH! 6.00am ah!


Hustle and bustle in the early morning market

It had been years since i visited a market so early in the morning. And i did not expect to discover anything interesting amidst this jungle of meat and vege.


Market Road!! (1kg Rm10.00 Road)

So foolish of me not to notice this earlier after living in Kepong for all my life. Jinjang, where the market situated, is the only place in the whole KL (or perhaps most of whole Malaysia) which preserves the old roads names from our colonial past. Over the years, Pudoh Street was changed to Jalan Pudu, Brickfields Road to Jalan Sambathan, Ampang Road to Jalan Ampang by our government to dispell any influence of our past colonial masters. Strong protests had been staged against these actions and yet to no avail. Yet, Jinjang was able to preserve what is dear to the people there... their own identity, their own name. No, "1kg Rm10.00 Road" is not a new name given by the government, only an ah pek misplacing the price tag for his... i forgot what. Okay ah pek, its just a photo, no need stare at me like that one!


Club Road poskod 52000 Kuala Lumpur

Okay, let me see... The Market Road is at the market. The Club Road?! I didn't see any clubs nearby. There's a Pusat Penjaja Jinjang Utara nearby though. I wonder if we are still under British rule, this street will be renamed to Hawker Stall Street. Do you know what's the main road in Jinjang called? Yes, simple.. it's Main Road!


Going Home!

On our way back, Dad talked about how important to remember our roots. I listen to his reminiscence of the good old days where all the road names are much more easier to remember. Places like Campbell Road where he always hang out with mom in their teens are no more, replaced by a smelly Jalan Dang Wangi. I think he's right. Places and people should preserve their name. So, in the future, please don't change any roads to be named after me kay! Don't want to see Jalan Lee Kwee Hoong or Jalan Hoong...etc. Haha! So perasan la, better get some sleep first....

No comments: